This week in the lecture we continued learning the language of math! We worked on conjunction, disjunction, implication, and negation. I am starting to really grasp this language. The best way for me to understand it, is to really think about how logical the symbols are. For example, when using the (and) symbol, you have to think about if (and) would make sense in a given statement. You couldn't say, there exists an X in C where P and Q are true, if set P and Q don't overlap, in this case you would use (or). To really get the hang of this language, I've been practicing writing statements that will get me to really ingrain this in to my mind.
In the tutorial this week, we continued practicing and reviewing the (and), (or), (not), and other symbols. The tutorial questions were tough for me before the tutorial, but the TA did a great job explaining how to really use the symbols.
Ex. For question 1A) I thought the answer was originally:
(There exists)X(in)C, (not)P(X, csc108)
but I soon realized that if "There is NO prerequisite for CSC108" the no means that for every x, there is no prerequisite. So I should've used (for all).
(For all)X(in)C, (not)P(X, csc108)
I thought this week was challenging to a degree but I have really grasped the material, and I can't wait to see the last of the symbolic notation next week!
No comments:
Post a Comment